Teen Segment 1
Teen Segment 1
- Students must be at least 14 years 8 months old by the first day of class.
- Students must pass a vision test. Visual acuity is at least 20/40 corrected for an unrestricted driver license.
- Students must provide a birth certificate or passport so we can verify their date of birth.
- The student has not had a fainting spell, blackout, seizure or other loss of consciousness in the past six months.
24 Hours of Classroom
Our Segment One classes consist of 24 hours of classroom instruction (12 classes). Each class is 2 hours long.
6 Hours of Driving
Our behind-the-wheel hours are separate from the classroom hours. When trying to decide on the right classroom time and location for you and your teen, please remember that there will be 6 two-hour drive times either before or after class (one hour driving and one hour observing).
- Drive 1: Low traffic, braking, accelerating and turning.
- Drive 2: Parking Maneuvers - parallel, perpendicular and 3-point turns.
- Drive 3: Lane changing, blind spots and left/right turns at traffic lights.
- Drive 4: Downtown GR/freeway, one-way streets and pedestrian crossings.
- Drive 5: Rural roads and other encounters (i.e. traffic circles/dirt roads).
- Drive 6: Evaluation - This is where we put all of the above into a one-hour evaluation drive.
Foreign Exchange Students
Foreign exchange students may enroll in our Segment One drivers training course, but they will NOT receive a certificate of completion. The State of Michigan prohibits foreign exchange students from obtaining their drivers license.
*Note - Foreign exchange student is different from a foreign student. Foreign exchange students are here for a short period of time and do not plan on living in the United States.
Special Needs Students
If a student misses any of the classes, he or she must inform the instructor of said absence in advance. With our curriculum, if they miss a class they will NOT receive the minimum amount of hours the State of Michigan requires.
Therefore, it will be up to the individual student to schedule a make up class with the instructor. If the student fails to schedule and complete a make up class, he/she will not receive their Level 1 Certificate.
Segment 1 Contract: Click here to download Segment 1 contract
Please download a contract and bring with you to the first night of class. It must be read and signed by the registered student and a parent/guardian.